Living together, kids and money – how much do you know?

Living together, kids and money – how much do you know?

Living together, but not married? You just got some new rights.

The Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 provides for a redress system for financially dependent cohabiting partners in both same sex and opposite-sex relationships – who are not married or in a civil partnership.

Cohabiting partners are defined in the Act as two same-sex or opposite sex adults who have lived together for in an intimate relationship for five years, or two years where there is a child or children of the relationship. Under the Act it may be possible for your partner to claim part of your assets. Previously unmarried couples had no legal right to the assets or estate of their partner.

The redress scheme may be activated at the end of a relationship, whether by break-up or death. It allows a financially dependent cohabitant to apply to court for maintenance, amongst other things.

Fortunately Treoir, the national federation of services for unmarried parents and their children, have produced some information packs that contain all you need to know.

If you visit the site, you can get the cohabiting parents information pack.

Leave a Reply